Monday, December 12, 2011

Advent 1 - Hope



I was asked if I could post the Advent Candle Readings on my blog, so over the next couple days I will catch all you blog readers up, and then post each new one on the Monday following.  We begin with Advent 1 - Hope.

Hope

Matthew 12:18-21
18 “Here is my servant whom I have chosen,
   the one I love, in whom I delight;
I will put my Spirit on him,
   and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
19 He will not quarrel or cry out;
   no one will hear his voice in the streets.
20 A bruised reed he will not break,
   and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out,
till he has brought justice through to victory.
 21 In his name the nations will put their hope.”

Hope flickers in the darkness, much like the light of this single candle.  Hope is that piece of our heart that says to us, in spite of all appearances, things will be better, there is a greater story being told.  The season of Advent begins with this kind of Hope.  Jesus was born into a world that was dominated by empire.  Greed, racism, war, and poverty reigned - yet even in a world such as this, the people held fast to hope.  Things will get better.  There is a greater story being told.  Today, we light this candle to illuminate the world, and our hearts, with hope.  The hope of Jesus.  The hope of a Savior. 

There is a greater story being told, God’s story, and it begins with hopeful expectation that God will deliver us from darkness.
Prayer:  God of hope, all of our hope is in you.  Make us to shine in the darkness like this candle.  Make us to be a people who bring the hopeful message of a loving God everywhere we go.  We anxiously await the day when all of our hopes are fulfilled in You.  In the name of Christ, for whom we eagerly await, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment